Monday 11 December 2006

It's christmas time (and there's no time to be afraid)


Having scored something of a minor hit with my last post (three comments - woo-hoo) I thought that I'd stick a picture in this one too - this is the Xmas tree recently installed by Tallulah and myself.
This weekend is the first point this year at which I felt Christmas-sy. Tallulah and myself had a lie-in, went out and bought an Xmas tree, decorated it together and then wrote our Xmas cards as we drank mulled wine. Then we watched the studio Ghibli masterpiece "My neighbour Totoro" - or at least I watched it, Tallulah got bored and went and did something else...
(...it's a good film but somewhat overrated and, to be frank, takes far too long to get going. A bit more Totoro would be nice - as would the opportunity to watch it in the original Japanese without the, rather cloying, American dub).
Unlike many people that I've spoken to recently, the excessive Christmas-ness that abounds has not annoyed me...yet. Despite being a complete cynic in almost very other respect I do still have a strong regard for Christmas, although his may be because it's a festival that revolves around food.
(I'm told that there is some kind of religious angle too, but I've yet to see any evidence).
I've thankfully managed to miss the worst excesses of Christmas shopping (so far). The one advantage of living so near the Trafford centre is that it's _always_ packed - a seething mass of human Brownian motion that defies the seasons. I'll admit that it's MORE packed nearer Xmas but the place is so vast that it can absorb a lot of the bustle without become too oppressive.
The one time that I saw the Trafford Centre REALLY busy was when Billie Piper was doing a book signing. Made my little geek heart proud, although not proud enough to buy her autobiography and queue for two hours.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you know what, geek? you really don't deserve comments on a posting as twee as this. mulled wine? lie-ins & chrissy cards while gazing at the tree? I may just send you a virtual retch. Please, don't you get sucked in too - there are enough people out there who think that spending themselves stupid over the spurious birthday of a 2000-year-old dead guy who may not actually have existed and who most of them don't believe in anyway counts as fun. I was hoping you weren't one of them.

Rant over (and before anyone hunts me down for blasphemy, posted with tongue firmly in cheek...)

please talk about more important things. like what did you call the dalek???