Wednesday 11 April 2007

Champagne with eggs

Champagne with chocolate eggs can make a violent concoction as I've learnt to my cost this Easter weekend - the chocolate eggs give me the energy while the champagne took away the inclination to do anything with said energy other than sit in Tallulah's parent's conservatory and watch her nephew indulge in an egg hunt in the garden.

Much to my dismay there _were_ actually eggs to be found in the garden, thus squandering a perfect chance to teach the child some hard life lessons in disappointment and the lies adults tell. Wasted opportunity there, I feel.

Big weekend. Much discussion was had over impending wedding and Tallulah and I now have the wedding venue and registrar booked. Suggestions of a Las Vegas Drive-In wedding and my idea for a wedding meal centred around Turkey Twizzlers met with a somewhat frosty reception from the prospective in laws, but Tallulah and I have managed to choose a venue that lets us do what we want and run the day how we want it. (This appears to be a freakishly rare concept in terms of wedding venues).

To catch up in terms of geekish news from the past few weeks - Primeval has slunk away with it's tail between it's legs like a dog that knows it's master is home because Doctor Who has returned. Hurrah!

Liking the new series so far - David Tennant has cut back on the (very occasional) pantomime lapses of the last series and new assistant Martha is a confidant and energetic replacement for Rose. The series - always more of a science fantasy rather than science fiction - seems to be blurring the line between science fiction and fantasy even further (I've been fighting the urge to point this out for over a week now, but in episode one why does no-one even try to explain why a hospital transported to the moon has electrical power and full earth gravity? - I suppose it might explain it on the commentary).

Speaking of fantasy, last night I watched the final episode of 'Life on Mars'. Can I just say that I think this was the most fitting ending for a series that I have ever seen and satisfied me in a way that the ending of Buffy, Angel and the various Star Trek series never did. All the questions were answered (although, if you look at it another way, none of them were). I'm slightly concerned about the news that the BBC are making a 1980s spin off - the show was very much a one off story that had a distinct beginning , middle and end (not necessarily in that order) and a spin off could well dilute and detract from the strength of the original.

Oh, and I got a quote from my review of 'Shadow of the Torturer' published in the latest edition of SFX. (Only a sentence though).

Looking forward to this weekend as Tallulah and I are off to see a Spanglepuss' new beau's band with Whiskey Murrell and her significant other. I've been told to bring ear plugs and I've yet to work out whether that is a good thing.....

3 comments:

Ruth Singer said...

ahem. I will be there too, or does a person without beau or significant other no longer count?

well done on your review - bring us a copy!

Anonymous said...

Ruth: “ahem. I will be there too, or does a person without beau or significant other no longer count?”



Absolutely, I can no longer see, hear, smell, touch or otherwise interact with anyone not in a relationship. This is proving to be very difficult in my job as a significant proportion of the visitors to the museum where I work have now ceased to exist (or at least that‘s the excuse I give for being behind with my enquiry responses).

Ruth, Ruth, Ruth. No conspiracy to omit or exclude singletons was intended. I’m looking forward to seeing you and didn’t mention your good self for the simple reason that I was specifically talking about people going to see Bry’s band. I was unsure whether you were going to the gig as I understand that you have a trade show in Harrogate and that the two might not mix.

I’ll pass on bringing a copy of the SFX magazine (containing my one short sentence) if you don’t mind – unless you _really_ want the inside skinny on Spiderman 3 and Stargate: Atlantis…..

I only mentioned it because I know some of the people who still read this blog nonsense also read that august publication.

TallulahFred said...

Ah...one sentence in SFX today, but undoubtedly followed one day by you appearing as an expert on geek culture on Newsnight Review. Start looking for the perfect cardigan with the leather elbow patches!