Thursday 5 July 2007

Whither Rodrigo?

It's now a couple of weeks later and my neck has stabilized sufficiently in order for me to contemplate slow moshing, should the situation require it. As it's Tallulah's father's 70th birthday at the weekend I'd say the chances of the situation requiring it are sufficiently remote.

Yes, I'm spending the weekend in Bonnie Scotland (as opposed to spending the weekend in Bonnie Langford which would require some form of anaesthetic - although I'm not sure on who's part).

Have spent the past few days calming down after the emotional turmoil of a Doctor Who finale that didn't live up to expectations. It wasn't bad - I loved some bits - but Martha's departure didn't have the emotional impact of the regeneration at the end of season one or the departure of Rose at the end of season two. Turning our hero into Dobby the house elf then having him rejuvenated simply by people chanting 'Doctor' seemed a bit...well...contrived.

Still not sure what's happening with Martha next season and the news about Catherine Tate is, well, unsettling (and I like her) but I can console myself with the thought that even at it's weakest Doctor Who is better than 99% of anything else on television right now.

(and how much am I looking forward to 'Heroes'?)

Have just returned from seeing Monkey: Journey to the West, a fantastic Chinese opera by the minds behind 'Gorillaz'. A truly original and stunning piece of work (where else can you see women dressed as shrimps?). The highpoint (for me) being something I'm informed is 'silk choreography' i.e. acrobatics performed by a women suspended between two pieces of silk hung from the ceiling.

Given that the ex-front man of Blur has raised the bar with this when can we expect a similar effort from the Gallaghers? I hope to see an Inuit Ballet by Noel any day soon.

Incidentally - I seem to have a comment on my last post from a man called Rodrigo who appears to be selling teeshirts. How odd?

No comments: