Tuesday 8 January 2008

No socks plrease, we're British!

In order to shine a light into the Geek's domestic arrangements I include the following conversation:

Geek: "I hate bedsocks"

Tallulah: "But you wear socks in bed, don't you?"

Geek: "Occasionally, but they are not bedsocks"

Tallulah: "If you wear the socks in bed then they are bedsocks".

Geek: "No. I may wear socks in bed, but they are not bedsocks".

Tallulah: "What kind of socks do you wear in bed then?"

Geek: "Occasionally I wear socks in bed but they are only socks that I happen to wear in bed, not 'bedsocks' which are socks that are specifically designed with the express intention of being worn in bed".

Tallulah: "Surely it is better to wear socks in bed that are specifically designed to be worn in bed rather than standard socks".

Geek: "No, because if I wear socks (of the non-bedsock variety) in bed I can deny the bedsock element by convincing myself that in fact I am merely by sheer co-incidence wearing socks in bed. If I wear bedsocks in bed I am faced with the stark reality that I am, in fact, wearing bedsocks in bed".

Tallulah: "I'm leaving you".

There you have it. As a 34 year man who has been in a stable and loving relationship for 6 years I reserve the right to occasionally wear socks in bed in the heart of the cruel midwinter. This does not, however, mean that I am ready to wear bedsocks. One has to have standards!

1 comment:

Ruth Singer said...

Curses! Will stop knitting a matching pair of his n hers wedding present cashmere bedsocks forthwith!